High School Curriculum
Courses Specifically Designed for High School Students
The California Virtual Academies use the K12 high school curriculum to serve our students in grades 9–12. The K12 online high school environment blends the best features of the company's learning environment—the elegant and research-driven design, the compelling interactivity, the ease of use of both online and offline content—with key features designed to make the high school experience successful, given the far more complex high school world of content, skills, and time management.
A Robust Catalog of Courses Meets the Needs of Diverse Learners
The K12 high school course catalog is robust, offering more than 90 core, elective, and Advanced Placement ® (AP ®) courses. The K12 math, language arts, science, and history courses are offered in multiple versions to meet the needs of diverse learners with diverse goals. Up to four levels of world languages are offered as well. Students can chart their own course, choosing from among the four levels of courses to match their aptitude and goals.
Preparing Students for Their Future
The California Virtual Academies’ academic staff utilize a variety of K12 courses and tools to help students both identify future goals and chart paths to achieve those goals. Students who are preparing for college may select from a robust course catalogue and receive support from amazing teachers and guidance department to help prepare them for their next adventure. Students who may not be preparing for a university are also provided with various courses and opportunities to help them explore career options and develop a plan for their unique adventure.
Due to the virtual nature of the California Virtual Academies, the UC/CSU college system does not recognize the lab sciences or visual performing arts courses as A-G approved for all schools. Read the A-G Entrance Requirement Options for students wishing to meet this requirement. Additional courses are currently pending approval through the UC/CSU college system.
Student athletes should be aware that currently the courses utilized by the California Virtual Academies do not meet NCAA eligibility. While the California Virtual Academies continue to work with the NCAA to amend this, we are not aware of when/if this will occur.
Four Versions of Core Subjects
With the K12 high school curriculum, students can harness the power of personalized learning by choosing from the following four versions of math, English, science, and history courses:
- K12 core courses are similar to the standard courses offered by many other programs. They meet all academic requirements for each course area bothc for graduation as well as for potential admission into a wide range of colleges.
- K12 comprehensive courses are designed for students entering with a strong foundational knowledge and aptitude in the subject area being covered, as well as solid study skills.
- K12 honors courses hold students to a greater degree of accountability, and demand even greater independence and self-discipline than their comprehensive course counterparts.
- K12 Advanced Placement ® (AP ®) courses are college-level courses that follow curriculum specified by the College Board. Like K12 honors courses, AP courses require a greater degree of self-discipline for in-depth study of the subject.
For the full list of K12 courses or to download our catalog, check our online high school course list.
* Note: The California Virtual Academies do not offer all courses listed by K12. Once enrolled, your assigned guidance counselor will provide current information on your school’s course offerings.