Destinations Career Academy at California Virtual Academies
Your student can prepare for college, career, or both with the Destinations Career Academy at California Virtual Academies (CAVA).
What is Destinations?
The Destinations Career Academy at CAVA is a full-time, accredited tuition-free* online program that combines traditional high school courses with industry-relevant, career-focused electives—giving students a jump-start on real-world skills they’ll need for college, career, or both. While working toward their high school diplomas, students in 9th and 10th grade can choose from a variety of courses in these high-demand industry sectors: Business and Finance; Information and Communication Technologies; and Marketing, Sales, and Services. California-credentialed teachers provide live online instruction and tailor teaching to student needs. Students can participate in career-oriented clubs, gain workplace skills, and prepare to take industry-recognized certification exams in their chosen career path upon graduation.**
Career-focused courses are based on the knowledge and skills required for each career pathway in the following high-demand industry sectors:
- Business and Finance: Careers in finance, marketing, and planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating business functions essential to efficient and productive business operations. Learn more about Business and Finance.
- Information and Communication Technologies: Careers in managing and supporting rapidly emerging computer, software, networking, programming, and information systems. Learn more about Information and Communication Technologies.
- Marketing, Sales, and Services: Careers in planning, managing, and performing marketing activities to reach organizational objectives. Learn more about Marketing, Sales and Services.
Destinations students can join our SkillsUSA chapter. With curriculum that covers 130 job categories and more than 600 national partners—businesses, trade associations, and unions—SkillsUSA gives students the opportunity to:
- Practically apply what they learn in the classroom
- Take courses in addition to those offered in the K12 course catalog
- Participate in academic competitions
- Perform community service
- Connect with like-minded students who have similar career and academic interests
- Earn scholarships offered exclusively through SkillsUSA
Learn how a grant from Lowe’s to CAVA SkillsUSA will benefit their chapter.
Learn More About Career Pathways
Hear from Madonna Johnson, Career Readiness Education Administrator at California Virtual Academy, as she provides information about the Destinations student experience.
*Families do not pay tuition for a student to attend an online public school. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help address your technological and computer questions and needs.
**Many Microsoft® Office certificates can be earned after completing one course. Other certificates require more classes to be better prepared, and students who attend Destinations for at least two years will have further exposure to career readiness education courses to be prepared for certification testing.