Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation
Which pathway is offered?
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation—This pathway prepares students for success in hospitality and tourism by integrating various facets of the hospitality industry, including lodging, tourism, travel, and event planning. Students engage in practices and real-world experiences to support the learning experience related to industry such as organizational management, communication, and customer service/consumer behavior.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Some of the jobs include:
- Food Service Manager
- Lodging Manager
- Travel Agent
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job, experience, and location but approximate sample salaries include:
- Food Service Manager—$55,320/year
- Lodging Manager—$54,430/year
- Travel Agent—$40,660/year
- Meeting Planner—$50,600/year
*Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, February 26, 2021.
Which industry-recognized certification exams can my student prepare for?**
- ACT National Career Readiness
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
- Certiport Entrepreneurship and Small Business (ESB)