Marketing, Sales, and Services
Which pathways are offered?
- Entrepreneurship/Self-Employment—This pathway prepares students to formulate policies and direct the operations of a business, corporation, nonprofit, or other organization. In small firms, this may involve assuming advertising, promotions, marketing, sales, and public relations responsibilities.
- Marketing—This pathway prepares students to plan, coordinate, and implement marketing strategies, advertising, promotion, and public relations activities.
- Professional Sales—This pathway prepares students to work in today's hyper-connected digital workplace while learning skills to convince businesses or individual consumers to purchase goods and services.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?**
Some of the jobs include:
- Business Operations Specialist
- Customer Service Representative
- Promotions Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Advertising Sales Agent
- Insurance Sales Agent
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job, experience, and location but approximate sample salaries include:
- Public Relations Specialist—$61,150/year
- Advertising Sales Agent—$53,310/year
- Insurance Sales Agent—$50,940/year
*Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, April 10, 2020.
Which industry-recognized, in-demand certifications and exams can my student prepare for?
- The National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) General Management Exam
- The NOCTI Advertising and Design Job Ready Assessments
- The NOCTI Financial and Managerial Accounting Exam
- A*S*K Business Institute Entrepreneurship/Management Exam
- A*S*K Business Institute Finance Exam
- A*S*K Fundamental Marketing Concepts Exam
- Microsoft Office certifications (up to four, each attainable in one semester)
**Many Microsoft® Office certificates can be earned after completing one course. Other certificates require more classes to be better prepared, and students who attend Destinations for at least two years will have further exposure to career readiness education courses to be prepared for certification testing.